Just a little question...

On: Tuesday, August 5, 2008

I've been searching around Mybloglog, looking at people's blogs and such.
But, some people have this weird thing where they for some strange reason have decided to either 1. Not allow comments, or 2. Completely block off the blog so it can't be seen.

To me, that doesn't make sense.
In my eyes the entire concept of a blog is to give input, and then receive output.
Right?

Having a blog with just input, but no output makes it a website.
So why have the blog?
Or, not really that, but why put it in blog listings?
A blog that can't be commented on is just a website.
There was a time when you call a blog that you can't comment on a website.
But those times are long gone.

Now, a blog is a tool for both input and output.

Then, on blogs that are blocked off from the general public.
That's stupid.
If you build a blog that is only for your friends to see, why not just tell them in person, or on the phone, or on facebook.
You don't have to waste space on the internet.
And, you definitely don't have to put it in a blog listing.

Maybe though, I take to much of an OJ Simpson approach to blogging.
I truly blog so I can say If I Did It, Here's How it Happened.
I think that if I do anything, or think anything, and don't feel like the world can be allowed to know it, it must be wrong.

I know there's things you shouldn't talk about, so I don't talk about those things.
I understand that there's things that are so normal that it's pointless to talk about them.
If I didn't my blog would pretty much be about my bowel movements, what I ate, and the fact that I have fingers (how else would I type?)


.....nevermind that question :p

The point is, I believe blogging is a social thing, and if you're not going to use it as such. What's the point?

3 comments on "Just a little question..."

Holly T said...

I'm just a random person that likes to lurk around other people's blogs haha! So I know what you mean by just wanting someone to comment so it doesn't feel like you're wasting THAT much time. Pretty good blog though-- see ya!! Feel free to stalk my blog.

Holly

Unknown said...

You hit it on the nail, if your a true blogger, comments are part of the interaction that makes a blog run. It gives you the author the ability to see who your readers are. Great entry

Chili
http://classicvideojukebox.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Blogging isn't a "social thing". Blogging is all about output. This is the output from my fucked up head (or yours) to the world. Those who read it are viewers of your world and as such must not interfere. It's like this... Take your favorite book and think... what would it be like if at the end of each day in this book, I could comment and have those comments be heard by the characters... It would be disastrous. Treat blogs like a story. Keep them output only. No input from morons not involved.

I for one post blogs for two reasons... So that someone can read it and think "oh, so I guess I could be a lot worse off", or so that they can laugh and think "He has no idea just how bad it can get."